1 cup Poongar Red Rice
2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/2 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse the Poongar Red Rice in cold water and soak it in water for 45 minutes.
- Bring 2 cups of vegetable or chicken stock to a boil in a pot. Drain the soaked rice and add it to the pot. Stir in some salt and cover the pot with a lid.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the rice cook for 20-25 minutes or until tender.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the diced onion and garlic and sauté for 5-7 minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
- Add the sliced almonds, raisins, cinnamon, cumin, salt, and pepper to the skillet. Cook for another 2-3 minutes, or until the almonds are lightly toasted and the raisins are plump.
- Fluff the cooked Poongar Red Rice with a fork and add it to the skillet with the almond and raisin mixture. Stir until well combined.
- Serve the pilaf hot as a side dish or main course.
Electric cooker rice method:
Wash and clean the rice. Cook it for half an hour according to its desired consistency in an electric rice cooker.