1 cup Mapillai Samba rice
1/2 cup split pigeon peas (toor dal)
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 carrot, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
6 cups water
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- Rinse the Mapillai Samba rice and toor dal in cold water and soak it in water for one hour.
- In a pot, heat some oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic and sauté until fragrant.
- Add the chopped carrot and celery and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Drain the rice and toor dal and add them to the pot. Stir in the turmeric, cumin, coriander, salt, and pepper.
- Add 6 cups of water to the pot and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the soup simmer for 30-40 minutes, or until the rice and lentils are tender.
- Serve hot, garnished with chopped cilantro.
Electric rice cooker method:
Wash and clean the rice. Cook it for 30mts according to its desired consistency in an electric rice cooker.