1 cup Kaatu Yaanam red rice
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 yellow bell pepper, diced
1/2 red onion, diced
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup olive oil
3 tbsp red wine vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse the Kaatu Yaanam red rice in cold water and soak it in water for 30 minutes.
- In a pot, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Drain the soaked rice and add it to the pot. Stir in some salt and cover the pot with a lid.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the rice cook for 20-25 minutes or until tender.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked rice, chickpeas, diced bell peppers, and diced red onion.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, and pepper. Pour the dressing over the rice mixture and toss to combine.
- Add the chopped parsley, mint, and cilantro to the bowl and toss again.
- Serve the salad at room temperature or chilled.
Electric cooker method:
Wash and clean the rice. Set the timer for half an hour in Electric rice cooker.